::Departments : Super Specialities : Vascular Surgery
Stanley Medical College and Hospitals is one of the oldest and well known centers in India in the field of medical education. The seed for this institution was sown as early as 1740 when the East India Company first created the medical department. The renowned Stanley Hospital now stands on the old site of the Monegar choultry established in 1782. In 1799 the Madras Native Infirmary was established with Monegar Choultry and leper asylum providing medical services.
In 1830, a well known philanthropist Raja Sir Ramasamy Mudaliar endowed a hospital and dispensary in the Native Infirmary. In 1836, Madras University established M.B. & G.M. and L.M & S Medical Courses in the Native Infirmary. In 1903, a hospital assistant course was introduced with the help of the East India Company. In 1911, the first graduating class was awarded their Licensed Medical Practitioner (LMP) diplomas.
In 1933, Five Year D.M. & S (Diploma in Medicine & Surgery) course was inaugurated by Lt. Colonel Sir George Fredrick Stanley a British parliamentarian. The school was named after him by the Governor of Madras Presidency on July 2, 1938. In 1941, three medical and surgical units were created. This was expanded to seven medical and surgical units in 1964.
The vascular surgical speciality was initially under the umbrella of General Surgery with stalwarts like Prof H.T.Veera Reddy,Prof.N.Varadarajan. In the year 2000,a separate vascular outpatient services was started.
 
 
 
The Government of tamilnadu established the Department of Vascular Surgery in Stanley Medical College with fully qualified (Mch.,vascular surgery) faculty in the year 2007 .The vascular Unit presently has 30 beds which caters to the needs of people in Chennai and is an referral center for vascular surgery for theTamilnadu state.

Designed & Developed by

This site can be best viewed in 1024x768 screen resolution.