|::Departments : Pre Clinical : Physiology|
Department of Physiology
Stanley Medical College was established at 1938, after British Parliamentarian, Sir George Frederick Stanley. Physiology Department started its functioning at the same time.
Teaching and Research are the two important achievements and merits of this department. A complete and thorough teaching schedule is followed by our departmental teachers who are qualified and eminent. Students Quiz programme is the favourite task of this department. Students of this department (both UG & PG ) have won fabulous prizes in Intermedical Quiz Programmes.Every year an Intramural Quiz Competition is organized by this Department conducted by the second year students for the first year students. Research activities are carried out in a full fledged manner by the faculty and Postgraduates of our department. Number of research papers have been presented in various conferences. A number of papers have been published in Regional , National & International journals.
1. Lung function and Hemodynamic Study in Portal HT- Dr.Celin
2. Lung Function Parameters after yoga- Dr.Manickkam
3. Sensorineural Deafness in Aged and DM Patients- Dr.Ananthalakshmi
4. Lung Function in Hypothyroid- Dr.Sugapriya
5. Autonomic function in Normotensive Hypertensive Subjects-
6. Nerve Conduction in thyroid Dysfunction patients- Dr.Adhikesavan
7. PFT in Rheumatoid Arthritis- Dr.Gowdhaman .
8.Visual Evoked Potentials ( VEP) in newly diagnosed hypothyroid patients– Dr.B.Anitha. (Dissertation)
9. Heart Rate Variability In Alcoholics – Dr.Thirumaran
10. Arterial Stiffness Index in Diabetic patients- Dr.H.R.Haribabu
11. Pulmonary Function Tests in Scleroderma- Dr.M.Janet Sugantha
12. Heart Rate Variability (HRV) in Iron Defeciency Anemia –
13. HRV in newly diagnosed NIDDM patients –Dr.H.R.Haribabu
14. Resting HRV in NIDDM patients-Dr.M.Rathnavel kumaran
15. Comparative study of Cardiac ANS of practitioners of Yoga,
exercise & healthy controls using short term HRV.-
16. Heart Rate Variability (HRV) in Newly Diagnosed
Hypertensive Individuals–Dr.M.Rathnavelkumaran (Dissertation)
17. Comparison of HRV & VEP in patients with IDDM –
Dr.M.Janet Sugantha (Dissertation)
18. An Investigatory study on the role of Brainstem Auditory
Evoked Potential as a tool in early diagnosis of Hepatic Encephalopathy:
Dr. V. Gowri (Dissertation)
19. Electrophysiological assessment of Cardiovascular Autonomic functions in Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome subjects.–
Dr. P. Samundeeswari
20. IQ & MYOPIA - Dr.P.Sathya MD(PHY) D.G.O
21. IQ & BMI - Dr.A.Parimala - MD (PHY) D.C.P
22 . Assesment of Pulmonary Function in Children with Adenoids –
23. Pulmonary Function test in Obesity- Dr. D. Archana
24. Pulmonary Function test in Postmenopausal Women with
Prolapse Uterus in North Chennai – S.Ulagavarshini
25. Pulmonary Function test in Pregnant Women – S.U.Chitrapavai
26.Visual Evoked Potentials (VEP ) as a tool for evaluation of hepatic encephalopathy in cirrhosis liver by Snehil Kumar IIIyr MBBS Student
27. Poincare Plot of Heart Rate Variability : A New Approach towards explaining the cardiovascular risk in Obesity - Sajjad Mohamed Jawahar Ali , IIIyr MBBS student
28. “A study to assess the effect of music on heart” by Dr. Vikram.
1. IQ & Handedness - Dr.P.Sathya MD(PHY) D.G.O
2. IQ & HYPERMETROPIA – Dr.VijiDevanand M.D
3. Heartrate variability in Obese Rats-Dr.R.Thenmozhi,
Dr . Shabina
4.Heart rate variability - Ketamine and Midazolam
in adult albino rats -a comparative study
Dr. S.U. Chithrapavai & Dr .D.Archana
5.Heartrate variability in post myocardial infarction -
Dr . Shabina
6.Assessment of Cardiac autonomic function during pregnancy –
Dr. D. Archana
7.The Role Of Skin Sensors in Diagnosis of Early Thyroid Dysfunction –
An Investigatory Study – Dr.Archana.
8.Correlation between Diabetic Retinopathy and Peripheral Neuropathy in
Type II Diabetes Mellitus using Glycaemic control and Duration of Diabetes as parameters- An investigatory study. - Abinayah kanniah ,
9. Pulmonary Function Test In Short Stature Primi Pregnant Women Compared To Pregnant Women Of Normal Stature – Dr. Chithrapaavai.
10.Evaluation of brain stem Auditory evoked potentials in stable COPD patients
11.Correlation Between Duration and Variation in Lung Function in Diabetes Mellitus.
12.IQ and Juvenile Diabetes – Ramakrishnan , Praveen.
13. Brainstem Auditory Evoked Potential in Type I and Type II Diabetes individuals –
A comparative Study – Dr. Shabina
14. Evaluation of BERA in Stable COPD – Dr. Shabina
15. BMI or Waist circumference - which correlates better with Heart Rate Variability measures ? – Dr. Archana
16. Correlation Between Duration of Diabetes and Variation in Lung Function in Type I Diabetes Mellitus - Dr. Ulaga varshini
17. Pulmonary Function Test in Short Stature Primi Pregnant Women Compared to Pregnant Women of Normal Stature
1. Heart Rate Variability in Normotensive individuals with family history of Hypertension.
Krishnan Muralikrishnan , Balasubramanian Kabali ,Badanidiyur Vishwanatha Rao
Indian J Physio Pharma 2011; 55(3); 253 – 351
2. Audiological Evaluation using Brainstem Evoked Response Audiometry in Hypothyroid females attending a tertiary Care Hospital
Gowri Valayutham and Dr. Balasubramanian Kabali
CIIT International Journal of Biometrics and Bioinformatics; vol 3; No 10; November 2011
3. A comparative study of Pulmonary Function in females with Rheumatoid Arthritis .
N. Gowdhaman , B. Adhikesavan, K. Madhana Gopal , M. Meganathan, J.Mohan , K. Balmurugan , K. Balasubramanian , B.Viswanatha Rao
World Journal of Medical Sciences 6 (4), 209- 213, 2011
4. Heart Rate Variability in Adult Obese Individuals.
Archana Damodaran ; Balasubramanian Kabali , KrishnanMuralikrishnan , Sathya Palaniswamy, Suresh Chander Kapali
CIIT International Journal of Biometrics and Bioinformatics ; vol 4; No 4;
5. Analysis of Cardiovascular Autonomic Functions using Heart Rate Variability In Systemic Lupus Erythematosus . Samundeeswari Parameswaran , Balasubramanian Kabali , Krishnan Muralikrishnan ,Suresh Chander Kapali
CIIT International Journal of Biometrics and Bioinformatics;vol 4; No 4; March 2012
6. Measurement of effect of Isha Yoga on cardiac Autonomic Nervous System using Short Term Heart Rate Variability.
Krishnan Muralikrishnan , Bhavani Balakrishnan, Balasubramanian Kabali , Fehmida Visnegarawla
Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine ; April-June 2012; vol 3; issue 2
7. Pattern Reversal Visual Evoked Potential in Hypothyroid females .
Gowri Valayutham and Balasubramanian Kabali
National Journal Of Basic Medical Sciences; Vol II, Issue 4, Aug 2012
1. Pattern Reversal Visual Evoked Potentials in Hyperthyroid females attending a Tertiary Care Hospital – International Journal Of Opthalmology.
Gowri Velayudham , Balasubramanian Kabali
2. Poin Care Plot of Heart Rate Variability ; a new approach towards
explaining the Cardio Vascular risk in Obesity –
Krishnan Muralikrishnan , Balasubramanian Kabali .
PAPER PRESENTATION :
I) APT CONFERENCE 2008 :
1) 12.07.2008: “Effect of 1 minute deep breathing on HRV “by Dr Thirumaran, PG in APTCON at SRMC..
II) APPI CONFERENCE 2008
2) 29.12.2008: “HRV in normotensive and hypertensive subjects” by Dr Muralikrishnan. Asst Professor in APPICON at Mangalore.
3) 29.12.2008: “Haemostasis in PIH” by Dr Sathya, Associate Professor in APPICON at Mangalore.
4) 30.12.2008: “Effect of 1 minute deep breathing on HRV” by Dr Thirumaran, PG in APPICON at Mangalore.
III) GASTROENTEROLOGY CONFERENCE
5.Visual Evoked Potentials (VEP ) as a tool for evaluation of hepatic encephalopathy in cirrhosis liver by Snehil Kumar IIIyr MBBS Student at Gastroenterology conference Bhuvaneshwar
IV) MEDICON 2010 at PSG
6. Poincare Plot of Heart Rate Variability : A New Approach towards explaining The cardiovascular
risk in Obesity by Sajjad Mohamed Jawahar Ali IIIyr MBBS Student at MEDICON 2010 at PSG Medcial College June 2010
V)Annual Conference of Physiologists of Tamil Nadu(APT) “ PRAJNA” in
Madras Medical College on October 2009.The following papers were presented,
7. Study of Peripheral Arterial Disease in Type II DM – Dr. Sathya,M.D(Phys). D.G.O
( Associate. Professor)
8). Heart Rate Variability as a predictor of severity in cirrhosis Liver-
Dr. Muralikrishnan MD ( Phys) ( Assistant Professor)
9). Visual Evoked Potentials ( VEP) in newly diagnosed hypothyroid patients –Dr.B.Anitha. MD(Phys) ( Assistant Professor) and secured the SECOND PRIZE
10) Arterial Stiffness Index in Diabetic patients- Dr.H.R.Haribabu PG FINAL YR
(1) First year Intramural Quiz competition in ‘Muscle and GIT’ in
2006- (Stanley Medical College)
(2) First year participated in ‘Endocrinology’ Intermedical Quiz Competition
at Meenakshi Medical College and won the 1st PRIZE
20/01/2007: “ Electrophysic is a subject of research” at Madras
All PG’s, Asst.Professors and Professors attended the CME
15/03/2007: “Electromyograph” at Madras Medical College – Neurology. All PG’s and one Professor attended the CME.
October 6th and 7th 2007: First API Conference at Balaji Medical College was attended by all the staffs.
20/01/2007: Workshop on Electrophysiology at Madras Medical College was attended by PG’s.