|::Departments : Pre Clinical : Anatomy|
DEPARTMENT OF ANATOMY|
STANLEY MEDICAL COLLEGE
In the early years till 1949 ,the Anatomy department of Stanley Medical college was functioning in the central institute at Madras Medical College.
Since 1950 Anatomy Department started functioning in the new block-the building where the department is now situated and The First Professor and the head of the Department was Dr.A.Anantha Narayanan Iyer, who was also the Principal of Stanley medical college at that time.
In 1952 it was upgraded and made as Institute for the Post Graduate studies and research and Dr.Anantha Narayanan Iyer was posted as first Director of Institute. It is indeed a matter of pride and honour that this Department was one of the very few centres recognized for Post graduate studies in the whole country in early fifties. In the year 1954 first postgraduate university examination, MS(Anatomy) was held.
This Department has the Unique Distinction of turning out the maximum number of Undergraduates and Post Graduates in Anatomy.
|PROFESSOR & HOD:
|| DR. K.SUJATHA MBBS.,MS
DR. J. SREEVIDYA MBBS, MD
||DR. J.K.RAJA MBBS.,MD
|DR.C.ADLINE MISBA MBBS.,MD
|DR.S.ELIZABETH PRIYADARISINI MBBS.,MD
|DR.J. SENTHIL KUMAR MBBS.,MD
||DR.V. SHANMUGA PRIYA
||DR. P. MAHARATHI
||DR. MOHAMED SAMIULLAH
||DR. G. YUVARANI
||DR.S. NASRIN TAJ
||DR.J. JAMES ALICE VINI
||DR. A.C.JOHN JOSHIK
TYPE OF COURSE: Medical/ Paramedical
|Name of course offered
||Sanctioned No.of seats
||TN Dr.MGR Medical University, Chennai
|BSc Radiology & Imaging Technology
||Service candidates working as radiographers or DRAS in govt. institutions
Periodic Academic activities held in the department (Anatomy):
||Dissection and Histology
||Embryology, Osteology, Radiology and Surface Anatomy
||Small group teaching/ DOAP sessions
||Tutorials, Review classes
||Self directed learning
||Periodic assessment tests
||Formative and summative assessments
DEPARTMENT MUSEUM :
We have a well organized section wise museum consisting of
591 specimens (Wet- 485, Dry-106).
The specimens are arranged based on the following categories-
- Gross Anatomy- Upper limb, lower limb, abdomen and Pelvis, Thorax, Head and Neck, Brain
- Comparative Anatomy with many animal specimens and bones.
- Models - Embryology, Gross Anatomy and Evolution.
RESEARCH PUBLICATION (NATIONAL & INTERNATIONAL): (last 3 years)
- Study of Main Renal Artery Diameter And Its Correlation with Presence Of Accessory Renal Artery On Cadaveric Dissection- Dr.K.Sujatha- Scholars International Journal of Anatomy and Physiology vol 2(2);pg 72-76-Feb 2019
- Abnormal Origin of Inferior Phrenic artery from Right Renal Artery-A Cadaveric Study-Dr.K.Sujatha, Dr.J.Prasanth Narayanan- Scholars Journal of Applied Medical science vol7(2) pg 650-653-Feb 2019
- Variations in the origin of Medial Circumflex femoral artery from femoral artery- Dr.V.Lakshmi, Dr.J.K.Raja-Scholars International Journal of Anatomy and Physiology vol3(1) pg 108-110-march 2019
- Variations in the origin of Ulnar artery-A cadaveric study- Scholars International Journal of Anatomy and Physiology- Dr.J.K.Raja, Dr.B.Ramkumar- Scholars International Journal of Anatomy and Physiology,vol2(2),pg77-80,Feb 2019
- The cadaveric study of pulmonary veins and its variations-- Dr.C.Adline Misba, Dr.J.K.Raja- Indian Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Research; vol- 8, issue – 2, pg 240-244, march 2019.
- Study of Morphometry of corocoid process of scapula in South Indian Population-Dr.J.Senthil Kumar, Dr.B.Ramkumar Scholars International Journal of Anatomy and Physiology , Vol 2(5) pg222-226-may 2019.
- Bilateral Unusual termination of Retromandibular vein and variations in the superficial veins of face and neck- Dr. E.Anitha, Dr.B.Ramkumar, Scholars International Journal of Anatomy and Physiology ,Vol 2(5), pg 217-221-may 2019
- Sinusoidal Dilatation in Liver of Adult Albino Wistar Rats with oral Febuxostat- Dr.C.Adline Misba, Dr.V.Lakshmi-Stanley Medical Journal ,vol5(3) pg 37-39,Sep2018
- Vertebral level of origin of Branches of Abdominal Aorta-Dr.T.Vasantha Kumar, Dr.J.K.Raja-Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences,vol9(3),pg 1449-1457,May- June 2018
- Fetal origin of posterior cerebral artery- Morphological case study- Dr.T.Vasanthakumar, Dr.B.Ramkumar- Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences,vol9(3),pg 190-192,May- June 2018.
- Cadaveric Study of Left Renal Vein: A Rare Anomaly of the Left Renal Vein Draining into the Left Common Iliac Vein- Dr.B.Anbumalar, Dr.K.Sujatha-Indian Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Research,vol 6(2),pg531-534,March 2017
- A study on the profunda femoris artery and its perforator branches- -Dr.S.Elizabeth Priyadarisini, Dr.S.Chitra- International Journal of Anatomy and Research, vol 5(1),pg 3644-47, 2017
- A study on the anatomical variations in the medial circumflex femoral artery-Dr.S.Elizabeth Priyadarisini, Dr.S.Chitra. International Journal of Anatomy and Research, vol 5(2.3), pg 3934-37,2017
- A study on the variations in the origin of the deep circumflex iliac artery -Dr. T.Vasanthakumar, Dr.S.Elizabeth Priyadarisini - International Journal of Anatomy and Research, vol5(4) pg 4451-4454, 2017
- A study of common origin of lingual and facial artery from the external carotid artery- -Dr. M.Anuradha Dr.S.Chitra –International Journal of Anatomy and Research vol 5(1),pg 3656-58, 2017
- A study of the morphology and morphometry of the jugular foramen in the human dry skulls-Dr.M.Anuradha, Dr.S.Chitra -International Journal of Anatomy and Research vol5(2.3),pg 3938-42, 2017
- Morphometric study of hypoglossal canal in adult dry skulls- Dr.T.Vasanthakumar, Dr. M.Anuradha- International Journal of Anatomy and Research vol 5(4.1)pg 4474-77,2017
- Study of Variations of Main Renal Artery – Dr.K.Sujatha, Dr.Christilda Felicia Jebakumar, Dr.K.Damodharan – Stanley Medical Journal – Vol 3(3); pg 2-5July- Sep 2016
- Double superficial femoral vein with double popliteal vein-a cadaveric study-Dr.B.Anbumalar, Dr.S.Chitra- Indian.Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Research, vol 5, issue 3, pg 520 – 523 ,june 2016
- Anatomical variants of profunda femoris artery- Dr.V.Lakshmi, Dr.Sudha Seshayyan, Dr.S.Chitra-Int.Journal of Current Medical and Applied Sciences, vol9(3),pg156-158,Feb 2016
ON GOING RESEARCH:
- Bilateral unusual termination of retromandibular vein and variations in the superficial veins of the face and neck –A morphological study; Dr.E.Anitha, Dr.B.Ramkumar.
- Morphological and radiological study of the human liver and its variations in the south Indian population by Dr. P.J.Seeja (2016-19 )
- Morphological and radiological study of human spleen and splenic artery and their variations by Dr. S.Sivakumari (2016-19)
- The study of aortic root geometry-anatomical assessment by Dr. P.Maharathi (2017-20)
- The Morphological and radiological study of coronary arteries and its variations by Dr.Mohamed Samiullah (2017-20)
- The study of brachial artery with its branching pattern and its variations by Dr.S.NasrinTaj (2018-21)
- The study of anatomy of posterior tibial artery and its variations by Dr.G.Yuvarani (2018-21).
PRIZES AND AWARDS WON:
- Best Poster Presentation by Dr. S. Nasrin Taj conducted in Sree Balaji Medical College Chennai during Anatomy National Conference in 2019
- Best Poster Presentation by Dr. G. Yuvarani conducted in Sree Balaji Medical College Chennai during Anatomy National Conference in 2019.
- Best Poster Presentation by Dr. P.Maharathiconducted in Sree Balaji Medical College Chennai during Anatomy National Conference in 2018.
- Best Poster Presentation by Dr. Mohamed Samiullah conducted in Sree Balaji Medical College Chennai during Anatomy National Conference in 2018.
- Our MBBS students had won and secured first place in Intercollegiate Quiz for Anatomy AURIS 2018 conducted by Saveetha Medical College.
- Elsevier is conducting All India level quiz competition in Anatomy for undergraduate students.Our student S. Ramakrishna ,2012 batch secured first place.
- Extrico –intracollegiate quiz competition is being conducted every year.
For undergraduate students - includes both theory and practical examinations.
CME’S WORKSHOPS / CONFERENCES CONDUCTED BY THE DEPARTMENT:
LIST OF CME CONDUCTED IN THE DEPARTMENT
|28th March 2008
||RECENT ADVANCES IN ANATOMY
|25th January 2017
||EMBRYOLOGY OF KIDNEY
|21st June 2018
||A JOURNEY TO REBIRTH OF HANDS
WORKSHOPS CONDUCTED BY OTHER DEPARTMENTS INVOLVING OUR DEPARTMENT
|21th May 2018
||CADAVERIC DISSECTION FOR FREE FLAPS DECIPHERED
STANLEY MEDICAL COLLEGE
|11TH Aug 2018
||CADVERIC WORKSHOP ON TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT
STANLEY MEDICAL COLLEGE
||FOOT-VIDEO DEMONSTRATION OF DISSECTION OF SOUL
STANLEY MEDICAL COLLEGE